Friday, July 01, 2005

Getting Old . . . er

I'll be 25 on Monday. I didn't think it would bother me till I started thinking about it today. I was sitting at the mall kiosk watching all these 15-19 year olds flirt, and shop, and generally act carefree, and it hit me, that will never be me again. The closest I will ever come to it will be when my boys reach that age, and I will be close to forty then. Its just a little depressing to watch theses perfect bodies walking all around you, thinking, my stomach will never be that flat again (with out plastic surgery), and my skin never that flawless, and everything else that generally perfect. Really, I am not that vain, I know that its only natural to age and all that shit. I don't regret having children, even though it changed my body in ways that can never be reversed. But sometimes, I just wish I could have a few moments of my youth back. --- So anyways, I'm sitting there in a daze thinking about all this & my impending birthday when this young guy walks up and says "how's it going today". Distracted I automatically replied "fine" thinking he was just some teenage shopper, until I turned around and realized he was my replacement. Now, I am tied with one other girl in my office as the youngest agent currently working there. You have to be 18 to get a license, and the average age to start real estate is mid 30's, with the average age of most Realtors being 45+. So being 24, with close to a year in the business is pretty young for most. This guy didn't look a day over 17, if that. Well, we got to talking I found out he is 21, and got his license at 18. I asked him how he dealt with the age issue, knowing he did have some help because his mom is a well established Realtor. He said most of the time he did encounter some hesitation, because of his age, but the dealt with it with knowledge and confidence. Yada yada that's cool what ever, Mr. Silver spoon. Then he said you must have it easier. Now I really don't know what he meant by that. I took it to mean that I look older. But how fucking old can I look to a 21 year old? I mean no, I realize I don't look adolescent any more, those days are over. Most of the time I don't get carded anymore, and when I do they are just doing to be nice or to verify its my credit card. But Fucking-A, that made me feel as though I were turning 35, not 25. So I've always believed that you are only as old as you feel, and today I feel fucking old!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home